OCEC Scholarship Information - DEADLINE TO APPLY is MARCH 15, 2021
The Otero County Electric Cooperative Education Foundation awards scholarships to graduating high school seniors and returning-adult students who will be attending an accredited New Mexico University, College or Vocational / Technical school each year. All eligible applicants are encouraged to apply.
Higher Education Scholarship (4-year College or University undergraduate program)
OCEC Vocational / Technical Scholarship (2-year, accredited Vocational / Technical School)
A $1,000 scholarship will be paid in the fall of the school year for which the scholarship is given. The initial scholarship award may be renewed for an additional seven consecutive spring and fall semesters. The ability to renew the scholarship is contingent upon meeting the enrollment status and passing grade requirements.
• Higher education (4-year) students must be enrolled full time and maintain a 2.50 grade point average based on a 4.00 scale for renewal.
• Vocational / Technical students must be enrolled full time and maintain a passing grade for renewal.
Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of funding availability and the applicant’s eligibility. Checks will be made payable to the school, and will be distributed to the school by OCEC.
- Available to active members receiving service from Otero County Electric Cooperative, Inc. and their immediate family. Renters are eligible, however, students whose legal guardians have rented for at least 12 months may apply and will be considered after providing receipts showing 12 months of electric payments to the landlord, specifically for electric service/usage.
- Scholarship to be granted to attend an accredited New Mexico University, College or Vocational / Technical school.
- Economic need of the applicant will be given secondary consideration during the selection process.
- Applications must be received or post marked no later than March 15th. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Awards will be announced within sixty (60) days of this date.
- Applicant must provide an official transcript from the school the applicant has most recently attended.
- Applicant must provide official test score sheet from either ACT or SAT testing. (Not a requirement for Vocational / Technical applicants. If the Vocational / Technical applicant has taken either test, they are encouraged to submit it.)
- Applicant must demonstrate a coherent degree plan and the willingness to pursue a course of higher learning. (Essay)
- Applicant must be of good character as evidenced by at least three (3) signed letters from teachers, principals, counselors, community leaders, employers, etc.
- The scholarship award winner must enter college in the fall of the school year for which the scholarship is given.
OCEC Member Cooperative Scholarship provided by Basin Electric Power Cooperative - DEADLINE TO APPLY is FEBRUARY 15, 2021
An additional scholarship opportunity for OCEC members is made possible by Basin Electric Power Cooperative (BPEC). Click below for a brochure with additional information and application. Please note there is a different deadline for this scholarship. Applications for the BPEC scholarship received after February 15, 2021 will not be considered.
Send applications for both scholarship opportunities to:
For additional information, please contact
Kelley Sanders at (575) 682-7606 or firstname.lastname@example.org.